Thursday 12 February 2009

"Marooned in Realtime," Vernor Vinge

I have nothing to say about my last few books. That's not to say they weren't good, they were, but they weren't stellar. "Ribofunk" and "Oryx and Crake" are both biopunk chronicles. That is, they have all the visceral intrusion of cyberpunk, only the next logical procession. Instead of computer interface, it's proteins and poisons. If you want to know what I think about these, go back and read what I had to say on "Mirrorshades." I'm a total fan of the genre, but I didn't read anything I felt worth relating.

Like I said, I haven't read anything stellar lately. That is, I hadn't. Well, now I've stumbled upon one that is: "Marooned in Realtime" by Vernor Vinge. I say, "I'm going to read 25 pages," then I realize I've read 30. Then, "I'm going to read to page 38," and later I find I'm on page 44. Why?

Somewhere in the 21st century, mankind develops the technology to seal oneself (and occassionally others) off from the worl in an impenetrable bubble, as the name implies, from realtime. What then do you suppose they do upon finding craters where once cities thrived? What would they do when locked inside a bubble for millenia? Or, worse yet, what would the do locked inside a bubble and left to die in a world completely devoid of humans? I'll let you know when I'm done.

No I won't. Read it yourself.

UPDATE (0422.13.02.09): In case you couldn't figure it out, 0422 is the time. And I'm halfway through the book. It's that good.

- Johnny "Joy to the fishes and the deep blue sea...joy to you and me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment