Wednesday 11 February 2009

"A Long Way Down," by Nick Hornby.


Ever felt like you've "pissed your life away"? That life was just meaningless? Or so full of crap you couldn't deal with anymore? Ever thought "I'll just off myself, it's what I deserve," or "it's the easy way out"? Because Martin, thought that. He was thinking of just.. jumping of a tower block. Problem is, he doesn't end up there alone. Single mum, Maureen, eighteen year old Jess and has-been rock star JJ end up with the exact same idea in mind. All for different reasons.
And it's pretty tough jumping off a building with people behind you in queue, waiting for their turn to go.

It might all be easier to relate to if you're not too happy yourself, at the moment. Although if you appreciate some good, straightforward British humor, this is just the book for you.

Personally, I really liked it. I'm even less cringe-y about swear words at the moment, cause he uses them quite frequently. And I'm using more British terms right now, too. Bloke, mental.
But then, I'm a tosser, aren't I? xD

xxx
The Gypsy.

1 comment:

  1. Lol. Quite a nice review. I would have wanted to say so much more, but then again I'm the type who usually wants to say a lot xD

    I miss that book. I want to read it again soon.

    Hornby rocks my world. He gives meaning to modern literature. Everybody knows I enjoy a novel with high intensity of British swear words, and this goes on top of them.

    I'm glad you read it:) But I wanted to know more about how it made you /feel/.

    ReplyDelete