Wednesday 28 January 2009

"The Divine Invasion," Philip K. Dick

Now, I probably should've clarified this matter before, but since I didn't I'll do it now: "VALIS" was the beginning of a trilogy that comprises the last three books ever written by Philip K. Dick before his death. "The Divine Invasion," then, is the middle child of the series.

The erudition in this book isn't half as convoluted as its predecessor. I keep trying to come up with a metaphor comparing the former book and the latter to the difference between Plato and Plotinus, but the words aren't stringing together like I thought they would. Garble garble garble.

If you like Philip K. Dick, read this book. If you don't, read it anyway. "Ubik" made less sense and "VALIS" less still. The one's at the other end of the spectrum. If you've read anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., you should read at least this part of the VALIS trilogy. (It's like he's channeling him!)

P.S. I prefer referring to authors by their last name only. For obvious reasons, I cannot feel comfortable doing that until I'm done reading this author. It's quite the inconvenience.

- Johnny "Does this dress make me look fat?"

1 comment:

  1. Alright, so. Good book. xD Gotcha.
    Does it have much influence on the trilogy's story? I mean, can you read the three books seperately, you think?
    And, I like knowing the complete name of authors. -nod-
    xxx
    Gypsy "No, it doesn't, darling" (Although I'm still trying to understand what you're on about sometimes xD)

    ReplyDelete